Days of Summer Wine...

Days of Summer Wine...not really sure where that old saying came from. But it offers up a sense of nostalgia and memories of great summers past. I dread the days that are coming where I don't go out over 72 degrees and I need a cardigan all summer long. It's coming along with polyester and bifocals. Oh, wait, already got that. The bifocals NOT the polyester!

There is a sense of being young forever. And somehow I was going to beat that old people thing. But atlas, I fooled myself. My youngest is about to enter high school and the family is splintering off to create their own branches of the family tree. So I comfort myself with a tall ice-filled glass of peppermint water and recount the days of substituting a pool with sprinklers, splinters in little bare feet, the smell of outdoors encrusted in sweaty hair, lemonade stands profiting a whopping $5.oo and short walks to the gas station to get something treat like. 

I remember when the children would get a bit antsy, I would gather them up much like a Mother Duckling. We would walk past our neighbors houses, past the local park, and find the tiny path cut in by a grove of trees. That path lead to railroad tracks where indubitably one or all of us would walk like a tight rope acrobat on the tiny side rails of that track. If we were extremely lucky, a few times, we would find a penny that was flattened by the train. That was a treasure to behold. They would all gather in a circle spying the treasure and argue who would get to hold the penny. We would then wind our way behind a veterinarian office and end up at the local gas-and-go. There, I stood patiently over my ducklings, as they spied the eye-level goodies that (in their minds) revival Willie Wonka. Some of my littlies would go straight to the goodies they wanted. (Two words-Circus Peanuts.) Others had to decide between several items that caught their attention. We would then saunter home as we partook of our treats and just talk about whatever was on the minds of the these tiny people. 

I miss tiny swim suits and mismatched flip flops. I miss lemonade stands and songs shouted out while doing hand stands in the grass. I miss cleaning up melted Popsicles and drying crying  eyes and sticky hands due to that. I miss walks to the park and helping scared little ducks the first time they go down a big slide. I miss the game of "touch that, that, and that" and whoever does that and touches me, WINS!  I miss dinner at 10:oo at night as we all gathered around the table outside. I miss the watching Harry Potter the first week of every Summer and getting hena tattoos to celebrate the 3 months off. 

I miss those days. And I love those days. And now I cannot wait for the days ahead. Where my children will bring their littlies to my house and I will get to wipe the sticky tiny fingers and give the biggest hugs to the next generation.

Maybe getting older isn't so bad......polyester still is DON'T GET ME WRONG!

Go and do and create a memory just for summer.

Comments

Popular Posts