Labor Day

Labor Day occurred yesterday....my 17 year old son asked what that holiday is for? It is , in a nutshell, a shout out to workers and laborers who built this country. But I didn't tell the boy that. I told him it was a day for labor and that is why we are dedicating the day to Fall Cleaning. He wasn't impressed.

He still, along with the baby of the family and the parental units, worked his fanny off. 

We cleaned out drawers and the garage and mowed the lawn and waxed the cars and and and and. I took a bath after that long day and slept like a beauty sleeper.

Whilst many Americans were out picnicking, camping, movies, restaurants, we celebrated by reenacting the very head to the grindstone that built this country. Do I feel bad? I ponder. I rub my chin. I look off to the right in a meaningful assessment. Making my poor children work on their big day off from school...................silence..........birds chirping. Come to think of it or more true, after thinking on it, I don't have one minor twitch about making them be responsible for the very items that serve them and bring them comfort. I don't feel bad that they had to learn the value of cleaning out the car and removing the messes they made. Wiping up toothpaste spills left by them in the drawers or mowing the lawn that gives them a place to kick balls and lay in the glorious sun.

I think, after special consideration, that making the children work on Labor day will probably make me the worst best mother in the world. And, for your information, I can live with that.

Go and do.....labor is good for the soul.

Comments

Popular Posts