Prison, funeral, and examination

So this week I have had the privilege of being in two very different places, hopefully, giving some sort of comfort to those in my C.O.L. (circle of love). If I may share? One place was a resident at the Point of the Mountain. (For those who have no idea where that is, it is a state run prison.) I knew I was to visit this poor friend as sometimes I am the only change in his routine. I woke up early and started to get ready but as the minutes ticked by I couldn't find this or that and finally rushed out grabbing some snow shoes as I bellowed about lost car keys, wet jeans (yes, I had to wear my not yet dried jeans in 40 degree weather!) and no gas!
I don't know if you have entered a prison but as you get out of your car and walk toward the dreary gates and razor sharp barbwire, you start wondering if this is abit like walking down to the double toothpick place. I, somewhat unsteadily, walked through the front door (I say unsteadily as it is a little disturbing at first) and realize my snow shoes are clumping loudly and the wet jeans are riding up! It is at this moment I realize I wore my hub's shoes instead of mine! (Okay, they are so similar it wasn't that far fetched!) Then as the guard is ushering me instructions he realizes I have worn layers, which apparently, is a no-no. So in my size 9 1/2 men's winter shoes, I am instructed to walk out back to my car and remove said layer! Now I don't know about you but undressing in the prison car lot wearing men's shoes and being unsteady due to stress is about all I could take! But I persevered on as I knew this is the place I was to be! So, thankfully and maybe surprisingly to some of you, I made it through the metal detector and only had to wait 25 minutes in a room full of other inmates and their somewhat unsavory visitors. Okay, I am not going to lie, some of the visitors looked scarier then the inmates themselves! But I knew this person in my c.o.l needed someone to be there for him. I, just happen to be that person this day. I sat looking at the drab grey colors and the lack of happiness that pervaded the room and realized that seemingly it wasn't much different then other places with the exception that it lacked light. I don't mean fluorescent 60 watt, but light of laughter and light of joy, light of something bigger then this world! In contrast, I was able to attend a funeral that was held for a sister of my friend. I sat in the chapel as the congregation sang "I am a child of God" and I thought, proudly ofcourse, only mormons sing children songs with love and vigor! The songs and words of those who were already missing their dear loved one were so touching. Light pervaded everywhere. Love for this women oozed in every nook and cranny of the building. Recognition of gratitude to Father for all she accomplished here on earth was spoken about and the unending service she rendered to those in her family and others. Her 11 siblings stood and sang her favorite songs. Her young son could barely get through a song without tears but I knew he was without a father and I wondered what his life will look like when this was all finished. Yet, it was the love of ushering one onto the next life while still celebrating the life left behind. And that is where I was this week. I was with those in my c.o.l, one regretting his life and one celebrating a different kind of life. It amazing that we all run a different race but we all end up at the same finishing line! What is your race looking like?  At the end of your race will you be celebrating or regretting? It is never too late to make a change. May you be blessed in life as I am! Go and Do

Comments

Popular Posts