My old truck!

I have a very old truck that is weather beaten white with specks of rust. Oh but I love this truck and deep in my heart I believe it loves me back.  This old truck is simple. It was previously bought new by a older "gent" who had purchased it some 30 years ago with nothing but the basics. There is no radio, no power anything, and this truck boost 3 settings---hot, cold, defrost. There is absolutely nothing inbetween. This truck of mine makes wind sounds if we top 5 miles an hour. She creaks and moans whenever in motion. The over sized steering wheel is thin and boost the finger grooves molded into it. On hot days the black from the wheel smudges a little bit on your fingers. But the feel of that wheel circling in your hands as you make sharp corners feels earthy, country if you will. The noise in the cab is wind and rattling and conversation above the din and the ride is anything but smooth. You sit on a large well used bouncey seat that resembles a couch and stare out of a massive front window. It is almost like seeing the world on a large screen televison as you drive along the streets. There is no clock to hurry you along and the gas gage is broken and so you have to guess about when to fill up.  The gear indicator hasn't worked in years so the ritual count of 3 (park, reverse, then drive) begins with every attempt to drive. Sometimes, if distracted , one has to put it back in park and count again. But it is basic, country, homey. There is nothing less then to say that I love that old truck as she offers me something nostaligic and simple.  I just hope she loves me enough to stick around for many years. After all I am planning on buying her a dancing hula girl! Go and do.

Comments

Popular Posts