Swing Shift!

I had a very good friend come over and visit about a "speech" she heard from one of my idols named Julie Beck. Julie spoke locally about mama-sitas who seem too confused as to what shift of their never-ending shift work is the most valuable. She, apparently as heard second hand, spoke about a family member who worked swing shift in the evenings and Ms. Julie mused that as a mama-san her shifts were more like 24/7!! The point was made that we need to figure out what shift in our nurturing of littlies is the most important. When I had short people the day shift was very important. There were dirt castles to make, works of art with finger paints that needed imagining, days of sitting in the sun as the good silver was used to dig up treasures such as rocks, branches, and the occasional goldfish carcasse. Of course, there was the never ending puree of fresh veggies that would eventually land on the wall, floor, or on my newly purchased , made of cotton, t-shirt, you know-the uniform for all young mommies. But as the children grew my important shift started being after the school hour. The long carpool home was when most of the questions were asked such as my 3rd grader at the time........lot's of noise with Disney music blaring, Chiclets arguing, as the van-go rumbles along the road and I hear this faint voice from the back of the car and it is my blond haired angel, "Mama?" she barely is audible above the din, "Mama? What is a bastard?" (True story, didn't make that one up. About shocked the ears off of me but then it was a wonderful chance to explain what words mean and how they can be used for good or for evil.) There were snacks to be made and tales to be told about mean teachers and exciting art projects. There were stories to be read during bath time and school uniforms to be laid out.  But now as the littlies are becoming tallies and starting to tower over me, I have realized the shift from dinner to bedtime is the most important. Dinner is when we all can gather from our most "important" activities to sit and reconnect and my shift only comes to an end when the last child has come into my room to sit on my bed, as I prepare for  sleep, to share their days. I hear about their lives and the details of the things they face. I answer burning questions they have or give sometimes heeded advice. I give last minute hugs and sloppy kisses. Sometimes I offer reassurances but I always offer love. I am learning to give the most attention to the most important shift instead of trying to make every shift equal. I love my family and I love my job.....regardless of the pay! Go and Do!

Comments

Popular Posts