Baby Chicks….I Mean the Real Deal


We have had a goal for a few years that unemployment quickly derailed. That was to become as self sufficient as possible…….you know the drill, years of wheat, peanut butter, and rice stocked in a bunker with lanterns and ammo. (Okay, just kidding about the ammo and lanterns….and the bunker.) I had started a wonderful basement pantry with some essentials, had planted a few fruit trees willy-nilly, and had the brave idea of owning chickens of my own. The last idea wasn't really a cost effective idea but more on the side of the children learning animal husbandry, eggs without antibiotics and hormones, and generally to live up to my rep of being a little edgy. (Some MAY insert weird, hippy, quirky, but edgy just sounds better to me.) But the things with goals is that you eventually have to fulfill them! And thus I became a "Google Farmer" this past weekend acquiring 4 little chicks , of the poultry kind, of my own. Three will produce the wonderful brown eggs that seem synonymous with health and vegan whilst the other will produce muted green eggs which will add a splash of colour to our carton of  eggs. (Think how friends will love green eggs delivered to their doorstep!!! Oh how delicious life can be!)  IT was not cost effective and being in this "space" of time it won't help us but a goal has been reached and accomplished and there are fowl living in my Laundry Room ! I am not sure what I have gotten myself into and wonder if maybe that money could have been better spent on a year supply of peanut butter but I know that if my dearest Aussie friend (Amber shout out!) can do it then surely I can…..that didn't sound right, what I meant is that she is always just a Facebook away if I have any questions! So here is too all the chicks in the world, human or fowl, a happy dance for accomplishing a goal whether it makes good sense or not!!! Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts