Homeless But Not Forgotten

I had an unsettling experience at the grocery store and I don't have a "box" to put it in as there are too many thoughts to actually capture and put in a neat tidy container. Carpool, as usual, with conversations with the hub as to what we are to do with the lack of work and what does the future hold that doesn't include living out of a house made of cardboard. As we parked the Van-go at the local Piggley Wiggly (names have been changed to protect the innocent....oh who are we kidding? P.W. just sounds better.) We park and in front of us is a truck that is literally held together with duct tape and ropes. In the front window there are scattered remnants of meals that must of consisted of chocolate milk and donuts. (Fine meal if you want it, not so much if that is your only choice.) We notice a young skinny gal that looked like her last meal was at Christmas time and a ruffian husband whose appearance was that of one who the county jail might have been his last place of residence. A plump, happy, bald baby was in the mix. Watching them get out of the car, I thought perhaps the sky was indeed falling if their countenance was any indication. Due to certain circumstances, we were told the story of these peoples lives. There were 3 men, 2 women, a baby and my suspicions are another baby was on the way. They were making their way to Wyoming to find work as ranch hands, something they are well acquainted with. The truck was their home and any place a tent and a generator could rest would be their hotel. The two women had large purses or bags that I am sure were filled with items from the Pig Wig that perhaps weren't  neccesarily legally theirs to have. But hey, what do you do? (NOTE: Completely against any law breakage and big proponent of consequences yet sometimes life makes it feel like you have no choice if you want to survive.) These folks had missing teeth from lack of dental care, sallow skin due to eating unhealthy, and a permanent sadness about them. Yet, they gave no sob story just spoke it like it was. Hail from Texas making their way to Wyoming for work. Hit a deer that mashed their front of the car and then hit a cement wall avoiding another car crash. They lost brakes somewhere along the way and barely missed hitting a construction flag dude. They are out of money and just a few hours from their destination. The gift they gave me was the ability to look at my life, just for a moment, and feel crazy gratitude for what I have. We easily look at what others have and feel less then or somehow not blessed. Yet, I speak for myself, I wish that I could look more often at those with less and think of myself as blessed then look at those who have more and think of myself as (having) less. I am in gratitude for the small reminder that I have what I need and what I really want in the world and I am indeed blessed despite the trials. I send a shout out to my new Wyoming bound friends and hope they get to where they are going. I hope that for you too! Go & Do.

Comments

Popular Posts