Apron Values

I have said that I have a love for Aprons of all kinds. I have given each of my little love bugs one and wear mine on occasions for no particular reason. Perhaps I am cleaning with bleach ajax or maybe cooking in the kitchen or if I am helping out at a church event that requires protection of clothing, I donn the apron. I am not consistent in the circumstances that requires an apron but am consistent in wearing one. I finally realized, just today, as I was readying dinner today, mixing herbs, trying out a new recipe, that the reason I wear aprons is because they have magical powers. It is true! The minute the apron shapes itself around my curves  an armor of domesticity envelopes me. My mind starts racing of cleaning out closets, organizing the food pantry, treats that can be made for neighbors. I gingerly put my hands in the pockets to bring out tissue for runny noses, breath mint drops for kissing hub, scissors to snip wayward strings. The smell of my new casserole wafts through the house smelling warm and inviting. I feel centered. Happy. Domesticized. I walk out to feed the chickens with my apron and wellies on. I cluck at them feeling ever so much the Mother Hen not only to them but to my own offspring. I don't think of the things I gave up but rather the things I have received. The apron reflects who I am on the inside.  A gal who loves to serve on a level of old fashion ideas.  A gal who serves love in the form of food, cleaning, or just plain hugs. The apron reflects that values that I embrace. It's generational in it's design in that you can find pictures of those who came before us years ago draped in their favorite aprons. The apron is magical as it embraces ideas, reflect values and of course keeps spaghetti sauce off your clothes......now if it could only produce dark chocolate on demand.

Comments

Popular Posts