Five A.M.

I am reminded of the days that I had wee ones. That translated to nights full of interruptions that required feeding, bottles, or simply comforting from the ever feared nightmares. The frightened calls echoing from one or another's bedroom with the shouts of "mamma!" Even in their sleep the instinct was for me to come to their aide.  And I did ever so gladly. I am the first to admit though I did yearn for the days when they would be older and I could perhaps sleep in. Summer has started and the children have grown enough that in theory I should be nestled in my bed until the sun warms my face to the new day. BUT NO! Someone, Miss.Olivia, had to go and get on Drill Team and then have required practice most of the summer and she is to be awakened at 5:oo a.m. to make it by six to the school. She is a heavy sleeper and the dinging and screaming of multiple alarms have not yet been able to wake the sleeping princess. I wake to slumbering children flayed out on the furniture, half covered in blankets, sleeping off the dvd movie marathon. There are glasses half full of water and remnants of food from a mid night raid of the food pantry strewn about the once organized Living Room. I look around half in abit of disdain but much in gratitude that the "wee-ones" haven't left my nest yet. I sludge up the stairs to wake the beauty and turn off the four-alarm fire bells that have echoed through out but have only awakened said parents.  I think that perhaps when they are all grown and gone, I will be able to have that day of sleepage and not get up until I deem it appropriate to get up? But knowing my life, I will be so accustomed to getting up early, I will. And probably the only change that will occur is that I will be serving dinner 4:3o p.m. 

Comments

the coltons said…
love it. especially the last bit about serving dinner at 4:30 :)

Popular Posts