Ain't That the Cutest Thing…….

 My Maya who is 9 rushed through the front door yesterday with a sandwich bag in hand and a smile a mile wide. She was so proud of her new possession which was a big fat brown/black striped caterpillar that she had purchased with a whole twenty-five cents! She quickly transferred her fuzzy pet to a small jelly jar and added grass. She turned a deaf ear to my lectures of letting it live its' life outside and the lecture of what "if you were put in a jar?" So for one whole night she lay on her side in her bed watching over the little guy whilst the moon light streamed through the window casting its light onto the jar that beheld her treasure. This morning came to early for her and as she rushed through the house with a piece of toast hanging from her mouth and brushing her hair while finding a shoe she remembered her treasure. "Mom!" she shouts, "Please feed my caterpillar. He needs a lot of grass! (pause) And some dirt. (another pause) A lot of dirt mom because we want him to feel just like his home!" She slams the door and the Van-go pulls out of the garage.  I walk out of the garage as it backs out and the shout is "Mom PLEASE  feed it IMMEDIATELY or it may just die!" I grab a hand full of grass and walk back into the house. Two minutes later the garage opens up and she runs in "MOM! I forgot my socks but did you take care of that caterpillar?" (Yes, child now go to school.)


I share this story because how child like it is. It represents children in their finest light. Tender, good hearted, caring. Nothing more important in the world then to feed a caterpillar and once that is accomplished then the world is right. Ah, how I wish to have the uncomplicated view of the world as a child. I may just need to get me a fuzzy fat striped caterpillar. Until then go & do find yourself a caterpillar.

Comments

Popular Posts