Flu Flu Go Away Come back……Well Don't Come Back

Yes, I am one of the many afflicted with the flu that has purposefully set it sights on our little hood. It camouflaged itself as an ear ache and then by the mid-afternoon announced itself as "Mr. Full Blown Flu".  My skin feels sweaty and my insides are churning like a G.E. clothes washer. My mind is wandering to a place without thought and bile is traveling up and down the main street called windpipe. Sleep isn't the answer but neither is death. Why, do you ask, am I blogging if I have become companion to such a thing? Number one, a bit of sympathy. That withstanding, I have learned that writing is like a muscle. It must be exercised everyday if  you want to build it. So, like the brave little solider that I am, I sit on my uncomfortable stool, tapping at the keyboard, wishing for a cup of peppermint tea and someone to stroke my hair and inquire how I feel. But I am an adult. Gone are the days were mama would sing a sweet song  as she put a cool hand on your forehead to see if you had a fever or not. Gone is the day were a VHS (yes I did say vhs) is put in and you would cuddle in a blanket watching Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (with Gene not Johnny) as mom waited on your every whim. A warm bowl of soup or tall chilled glass of 7-up at the ready. Now, being grown upper,  it is my child's friend calling at 5:4o a.m. to see if my eldest slumbering child is going to early morning class. (She isn't as she stayed up late so I am answering the phone.) Or my secondary child who set and alarm for 6:04 a.m. but left it in our closet for me to get up once more to turn it off and then stamp on it till death. Or the new neighbors cats who seem to like our yard better and get in a "cat fight" every morning about 6:3o a.m right outside our window. After all that I lay back down and realize my stomach is riding the roller coaster and my head is under construction. There is the dim noise emanating from the bathroom right outside our door announcing that yes the girls do have a radio on just high enough to keep a dull hum. And a  sort of hushed argument over sharing something or another keeps me from slumbering. I get up to blog as I can't sleep and laying there only punctuates my feeling of  wooziness. Have you ever heard Billie Rae Cyrus songs……..well his song with new lyrics keep tossing around my head "I want my VHS back! My mama and a seven up 6 pack!" But nay, I will get the children off to school and then lay like a cucumber for an hour or so and then wish for my mama back!
Go and Do ……….yeah that's it…..go and do…..no pithy ending here.

Comments

Popular Posts