Tis the Season to be...

So one of my children, who I absolutely adore, loves to buy her own Christmas gifts. She would much rather pick out the perfect "thing" then allow Santa his own willy nilly choices. (P.s. she always ends up with the nicest things.) She stays within the limited budget given but seems to find what fits her best. Yesterday was our day to "Santa" shop for her. It started out like most "family" togetherness things. She was getting more and more upset and so was I for different reasons. I was looking at prices thinking how can two semi employed people pay for Christmas while she was thinking this "sucks" because there are so many wonderful trinkets she would love to have and can't. Then after the famous (EVERYONE has these) loud conversation in the aisle of a store, we  both calmed down and embraced the togetherness time and the cheer of the holiday.
She redirected her expectations and I let go of my "fear" of budget crisis. Two hours later and lots of fun and interaction we came out with a bag containing 5 items but she loves them and I didn't have to sell anyone to a gypsy! I hope that we both learned the Christmas is more then the gifts, nice as they are! I spent a days worth of work (part time) but got my darling girl something that she can love the season but still feel like she got something. I got to give and feel like a good mom both to my darling "beans" and that stupid budget. And those outside forces trying to ruin a great time with my babe....kicked out, 86'd, gone, kaput.
Ah tis the season. Go and do.

Comments

Popular Posts