Cars Passing By

I was driving home from work and tired. Not enough tired to NOT sing out loud and tap the wheel off beat mind you. I was stuck  at a light waiting to turn left and so took a moment to watch those oncoming cars passing by me. It was a little bit of funny. There were those on the phone, someone arguing, someone with a better beat then I and obviously a better singer, someone wiping a tear away. In those few minutes, if not seconds, I saw the full gambit. It sort of reminded me of life. Here we zoom through our lives cocooned in our own "life" we have created for ourselves and just like the cars, often don't really see others who are passing by us. Many times seeing but not really "seeing" others for their needs, who they are, what their real intent is.
But not always. My dearest Aussie friend saw my fb post of needing  corrective surgery and offered to help pay for it!!!!!
That offer was without a thought. It was just given by love and understanding and friendship. She was someone looking at the other cars with intent. (See how I tied that all in?)
My Beans came home from school and her bestie wasn't being so kind to her. She had tried to call her the night before and was told that bestie was not home. They had school classes together and bestie didn't talk to her. I encouraged her to call and ask "what" is going on. She did with the same answer of "not home". My Beans, like many of us, decided she had done her best and maybe she didn't need to try anymore. Friend was being rude and unresponsive and Beans had justified (rightly so) that she had put a lot of effort into her side of the communication with nothing but a brick wall as a response. I recounted a time, a million years ago, while still an adult, that I tried to reach out to a friend several times only to be "hidden" from her on Face book along with minimal response to any of my inquiries. I had question said friend on two different occasions on "how have I offended and if so apology, apology, apology". I told Beans that all I, despite her obvious need to not respond,  cared about is that I tried to "see" her and do all that I can even if I was unclear as to what I may have done to offend. And I let Beans know REAL friends give second and third chances because we all do things that tweak others. (But friends try to not be as tweak at you as strangers.) End of story? No there really isn't an end. Lie. There is, Beans admitted that yes she has been an amazing friend and so "I guess I will talk to her in class" sigh. Bestie had other plans though and called Beans back that very night. My daughter coached her buddy into admitting that Bestie was feeling left out and simply wanted a little more attention from my dear little one. What a compliment.  See how we assume things from others and then chose to base our actions off the assumption? But really the perceived disdain was really a desire for deeper friendship and more friendship face time. So when we drive through life and think people are really just passing on by on  their own path, take a gander, you might see someone laughing, singing, or crying. Really look at them, don't just glance. See the real driver. Go and Do.

Comments

Popular Posts