Blog Fog Today (The boy’s room)

Blog Fog Today…what to write about. Prince Charming shouted out a few different subjects to peruse about today.  All of his suggestions where met with “did it already”,…..“done”,…. “ditto”….. “been there blogged that!”  Can the well of intelligent blogging dry up? Rhetorical question.

I think I will wrangle the subject of growing up. We all have to do it sometime. Resistance just makes us look silly. My favorite self made up quote around the house is “not all adults are grown ups.” I am sure that there have been many times that, in my adult hood, I acted like a child instead of the adult that I am. Growing up is hard. We have to face things, feelings, situations that make us want to just go back to rocking on mama’s lap!!

Letting those around us grow up is hard too.

My boy is turning 13 this month. He was my little Peter Pan. Blonde soft hair and sweet tender voice. His hair was so soft growing up that I would say it was like, what I would imagine, a Polar Bear Cub would feel like.  I started calling him cubby then cub as he grew.   He use to have an Alligator costume when he was a littlie. A costume he would zip up over his whole body. It had a hood that  flopped over his head and it had a large nose and alligator teeth that jutted out over his face.  The custome sported a long alligator tail.  He wore it all the time and everywhere with his face just appearing under the large nose and his white sneakers showing. He would wear it to the Piggly Wiggly. He would wear it to say prayers. He would wear it to the Park. Those were the days.

Anywho, a few days ago I decided to clean out his closet and his dresser. In a large box, reminiscent of Andy in “Toy Story 3”, I put away all his toys.  There was “Hopper” from a “Bug’s Life”, Woody/Jessie from “Toy Story”. There was a big Mac Truck, a large 12 inch Robot, jacks, Lego's, Bionics. Bionics were the rage for him (a box of legos that build into robots) and I remember him pleading for them. Now they are thrown in a bag, forgotten.  There are Sunday Ties that now are too short for him to wear.  There are baseball caps of Mickey Mouse. Little toys that look like gerbils on wheels and make squeaky noises. All gathering dust. Replaced with “Angry Birds” t-shirts and Wii games. DS hand held games. Pocket knives. Sponge Bob.  Notebooks full of doodles of military heros. Leather bracelets with peace signs. Real men things.

He is taller then me now. His voice cracks. He is getting a smattering of acne. His hair that once was blond is now turning brownish. (Still soft!) He loves me but more privately now. Not so public. He sometimes forgets to ask me if it is alright to do something and just does it.  I love the boy. I wish for the days when he was small enough for me to rock him.

No one wants to really grow up or have their loved ones grow up/old! But we do. We have to. Circle of Life sort of thing. If my little alligator can grow up to be a real boy then I can be a grown up as an adult.  But I am hoping mama still has her rocking chair for those days I just “don’t want to grow up“!

Go and do. But have a rocking chair handy!       (P.s. we made him look like Cindy Lou from the Grinch, think he is happy I have put this out to cyber world? Me think not.)   

Comments

Popular Posts