SHOES...

SHOES…In my home there is a door leading from the garage to the laundry room and then into the house.  This space seems to be the catch all for the myriad of shoes that live in this home of mine. There are flip-flops, scuffed high heels, sneakers that have seen better days. There are sizes that range from little girl flower powered Mary Janes to big daddy yard shoes with a layer of dried mud clinging onto the tattered laces. Some days I pick the zillion of shoes up in my arms and in frustration hurl them out into the garage willy-nilly.  Wondering why they, the family, cannot just put the shoes in the shoe cubbies designed for that sole purpose. But  then there are days like today, I  choose to cherish each stinky- sweaty- scuffed up shoe that serves as a reminder to me that I am part of a bigger something then myself…a family. These shoes represent baseball games, dances, picnics, walks to the park, gardening, running, arguments, school, family parties, physical growth, trials. The miles logged in these shoes by the people I love as they experience their lives with and without me almost overwhelms me. I snuggle them to my chest with a moment of reverence. I will miss these shoes. I do look forward to the new shoes that will arrive at my front porch as my family grows to encompass others. But I will miss THESE shoes. I will miss these times. So today I lovingly put each pair of shoes into the correct cubby and I give thanks. Thank you for giving me a membership into something so grand as to be called a family. Thank you for each and every shoe that brightens my door and the meaning that comes with each threadbare lace and each  run down shoe tread. I am lucky to be apart of such a wonderful club!!


Go and Do and take a second look at the shoes in your life!

Comments

Popular Posts