Bedrooms...

Bedrooms...I love to decorate my children’s rooms. Oh yes, it is on a budget, not by choice-the budget not the changing of rooms. But I love to go in and create rooms that fit them at the time and age that they are. We have had a spider-man influence abode, a cow-girl inspired room complete with horse shoes and stars. A sweet lavender room with bed netting and lace.  A vintage inspired, by my mom’s quilt she made, room with butter yellows and reds and anything vintage. Psychedelic room for the hippy stage, that room was short lived. Now, as the children are growing up so are their rooms. There is the beach room that is loved by my surfer son. It has a skim-board with his initial on it. Black and white photos of sea life. A rattan crab. Blues of all kinds accented with orange. One has a pallet wall with mocha linens and ruffle turquoise pillows for accents. There is a growner-upper version of a little child’s room for the youngest who is now double digits. Though it is child friendly it would also be teen-age friendly.  And NOW we are working on a dorm-room motif for the child who is leaving our home to go out into the world and create her own life. (Yes, you did just hear a sob.)

I look at the rooms lovingly. This is never coming back to me. Once they go onto their own families and homes, they will have their own rooms to decorate. My rooms will be empty. I don’t mean empty as in nothing in them, I mean empty of life. They won’t be scattered with clothes, wii games, discarded candy wrappers (that were hidden in their rooms unbeknownst to me!) Contraband of pennies, unread books, broken pencils, candy, lip gloss, nail polish, notes that had been past to them during class,  doodles on paper, lost items, dirty smudges on the wall, etc. Instead there will be sterile guest rooms and computer rooms. Maybe a workout room complete with treadmill and television.  Empty. Without life.

I pray that when that time comes I will be able to look back and know. I mean really know that I enjoyed each stage of those marvelous children that are in my house. Just like I enjoyed each room that we have had. And I pray that, as each room got better and better, so will the relationships of my children. I pray as they grow they will come back and fill those rooms with life with their own families.  I pray that our workout room will host dolls and barbies and super hero capes and balls of all sorts. I hope that our computer room will be full of print-outs of puppies and Candy Land cutouts. I pray that our walls will be smudges with crayolas and little finger prints. But for now I will enjoy each room that contains our very own. I will love each individual room with whatever it contains. On days that everyone is out of the house doing their own things I will softly smooth the beds out and fluff the pillows. I will smell their colognes and perfumes and body scents left behind. I will straighten the quilts and fix the nettings. I will whisper, “Thank you for rooms with life.”

Go and Do!

Comments

Popular Posts