Rule #1 Isn’t For Sissies!

Rule one isn’t for sissies! To tell someone you Love them everyday can be hard if it isn’t your cup of tea. Though I refer to this rule for mummies, it is a great rule for everyone. I am going to write this as a mother rule but I would urge you to apply this no matter where in life you are. Now to get onto it.

I had young children and one day I was startled to suddenly observe them hugging their friends, unsolicited, and repeating “I love you” to them. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Who does that? They would pull them in saying, “give me a hug” and “I love you friend.” Um, is this okay, I questioned myself. And then later that day, as a friend left my presence, I realized I had done the very same thing!! They had learned well, not from my words, but by my actions.

I remember myself when I  was a younger version that my dad always gave hugs. He was an especially ceremonious hugger at airports and on front stoops as we said our goodbyes after a home cooked meal from mom was devoured and I was off to my “own” place. It always felt nice to be caught up in a big bear hug. Somehow that stayed with me.

That is my back story. We, Prince Charming and I, have always given generous hugs and kisses to our little clan from the time they were wee ones on. Age has not changed that habit for us or for them. When they were Littlies we often would shout in an angry voice “Hey” (insert name somewhere) and they would be startled thinking they were in trouble, “Hey, name, we love you!!” They would laugh and sigh and say “Oh, man, I thought you were mad at me.” Then they would wait a mere second or two and shout “Hey mom!” (or dad) I would act startled and say in a concerned voice “What?”. “I love you.” Giggles galore.

When you give free and generous love to those in your clan (circle of love) you receive it back 10 fold. Our home echoes with “I love yous” anytime someone leaves the front door to go off on an adventure! That habit didn’t come from teaching them, it came from DOING it. But it is something one doesn’t really consciously realize happens until that one time you realize that you just got 5 “love you” shouted from  different areas of the house and you were just going to the bread store for a loaf of bread!

Children need to be told that they are loved as often as they can be. 10 million times a day is barely enough. And guess what? WE ARE ALL CHILDREN! So I am giving you permission to tell those you love that you love them. Find a way. I have special sayings for each one. They each have their own background story but for each child there is a special one:
“I love you to the moon and back.”
“12”
“Luv u cub” or “good night my prince of Utah."
“Luv u punk”.

Find a way to show love. CREATE a way that is unique for you. I know that when I am elderly and looking forward to the day I will meet my Father in Heaven, I will be glad that I allowed love to flow to those in my circle of love. In that there will be no regrets. Go & love.

Comments

Popular Posts