Happy….

Happy birthday to me….I looked into the mirror and saw a reflection of someone struggling with headaches, sinus infection, sore throat, congestion in the lungs and no less an upset stomach. "Another year older and none the wiser” I groaned. But I knew I will miss birthdays once my clan leaves.

It started out as most years do by Hub taking the clan to “get”….(fill in the blank.) This year is was a poster board for littlie’s science project. Three hours later they show up with no board and nothing in their hands. Hub still thinks he surprises me but the 16 year old was sassy enough to say “ya ma, we ACTUALLY were out for three hours searching for a poster board.” Okay, I am not crazy. They really cannot believe I don’t suspect a thing. But I am a mother who believes in faking and so I put on the face and muse how hard it is to get Science Project Boards these days. I bid adieu to the family as I feel like ant guts and snuggle in my bed hoping that my body will stop hurting enough to sleep. Hours of coughing and feeling like my throat was as raw as an uncooked Turkey, I fell to a deep dreamless sleep. That was until 6:40 a.m. and the clan comes running in throwing unwrapped presents my way and screaming the Happy Birthday Song at full force. (They really like a celebration!) I groggily open my eyes and paste a smile on even before I can adjust to the blaring lights. My stomach gurgles and my throat stings but I manage a surprise yelp! As I unwrap each gift from the store bag it came in I am peppered with questions as “do you like it?” or “does it fit?”.  My mind hasn’t even come out of the dream state yet…but yes it is all perfect. It is over as fast as it started. I took back some of the things that didn’t fit (I hate having stores keep my money if I don’t like the product!) I exchange a couple of things for the family to consume. I then come home to snuggled back in bed to sleep the day away and chose to come out for a brief piece of Peppermint Cake from Kneaders.

Not the perfect Birthday but one that will be cherished because it wasn’t the perfect birthday…it was real and with my family.

Go and do.

Comments

Popular Posts