Cracked Kindle…..

Cracked Kindle…….My Kindle has been like crack to me. I took it everywhere! The notion that a reader, such as I, could download books on a whim and never be without a story in hand was….well…addicting. Stupid books and great books alike there for my perusing and eventual purchase was genius invention if I have ever heard of one. Forget television, phones, or shopping because with a Kindle I could go anywhere, love anyone, be anyone. You notice I have used “past tense.”

My littlie has taken to sleeping on our bedroom floor as she “feels more secure Mom.” It is okay by us. All the children have had phases of sleeping on the floor and then decide to move on to their own digs. Well someone, me included, set the dear cherished Kindle down on the floor beneath the little ones’ blanket laying on our bedroom floor. As I  spoke with a friend on the cell and also focused on making our bed, which is a challenge as it is a larger bed and I think I am shrinking, I hear this crack underfoot. I pause between a spoken sentence and throwing a throw pillow. I bend over and remove the blanket on the floor to see my book-of-stories-at-a-touch. Nothing seemed wrong with it. I exclaimed that “oh no I stepped on my Kindle” and then went about my conversation and tidying up the room. But as I finished both task, I checked the story machine and that is when it frazzled. Words mixed with snippets of pictures all thrown on the screen like 3 puzzles thrown together. I begged the Universe to fix it. I caressed and stroked the pad in hopes that my pure love of reading would resuscitate it back to life. The only response was the mishmash of pictures bleeping for a second. It was dead. I laid it gingerly on the side table on my section of the bed.  I haven’t had the guts to do more then look at it longingly. I will not lay it to rest quite yet. Hope that it may just need a rest still lingers in my mind. I would replace it but for $90.oo, I know if I wait a few more months something better will come out and the basic e-reader will plummet in price.

Perhaps this is a good thing though? I have missed the touch of paper on my fingertips. The licking of the forefinger to turn a page. The weight that comes with each book as it is picked up. I miss the crinkling of the clear plastic that comes on some books and the worn out covers on others. I miss the presence of two or three books stacked here and there. I miss entering into the toilet room and seeing a book splayed open on the floor waiting for me to pickup where I left off.

I DO miss the convenience of my Kindle. I do. But maybe this is the Universe telling me that convenience isn’t everything. The real experience lies not ONLY in the story itself but the experience of the whole package.

Go and do and read a real book and enjoy the whole experience of it all. I know I am……as I have no choice.

Comments

Popular Posts