Staycation....

Stay-cation, though not as fun as Disney Land, are still good. But I digress.

We have had snow and fog and ice and snow and fog and ice. Every day, though beautiful for what it is, it still illuminates touches of grey. No sun light. Just a wonderfully scenic chaos of snow and ice. But it is the grey that is killin' me! So I put on my mama pants and called a family meeting. "Where would you like to go?" I queried. Places rushed from the mouths of those I love. I took all inconsideration and then got busy on the computer. 3 days later the realization came that if I took my family of 6 (which in many parks etc are considered adults after the age of 9) (Disney.....hint hint.) That it would be several hundred if not thousands of dollars. So wanting to be financially savvy, I called the vacation off. Instead I declared a "stay-cation". I figured for a few hundred dollars and some time off of school, we could have some fun. So we called the schools and Thursday took our wee ones out to the movies (Parental Guidance, no sex, no swearing, family values) and then out to the restaurant of their choice. By the time we got home it was dinner time and we all dispersed to our favorite things. The Wii,  a book, a bed to sleep, a movie. And the night turned into a relaxing no fuss evening for all. The next day, after sleeping in until noon (not I as I have that parent time clock, doesn't matter what time I go to bed I am up by 7:oo a.m.) we got a little more ambitious. We went to our big "City" and went to the outdoor mall. We dined at a gourmet pizza shop which was so fun and with a bill at $100.oo we wouldn't have done it unless we were on vacation.  Then each got to mosey into their favorite shops and buy a little trinket. By then it was apparent my little family has grown up. In days gone by, my littlies would have been thrilled to venture into every shop and would have begged for some type of chocolate or goodies from a sweet shop. They would have suggested  a movie in that "I am begging the heck out of you" way and then hoped for popcorn and a soda. Yet now that they are grown-upper, the eldest wants to get back to her fiance, the second in command wants to go home to her "boy candy", the son wants his buddy and to play Halo and atlas the littlest would have begged for a movie and corn but didn't have a posse to back her up. So we leave for home with the echoes of the children thanking us for the stay-cation. Yes, it wasn't the "Happiest Place on Earth" replete with princes and rides and mouse ears. On second thought, we did have our own princes and driving in soupy fog on icy roads seemed like rides and who needs mouse ears anyway? Staycation is the next best thing to a vacation.......atleast it is something!

So go and do a mini stay cation!

Comments

Popular Posts