So .....V day is over

So V day is over....my prince did good. What I loved is my little one and my boy (who is almost 14) both said (the night before) "Are we doing tradition?"

Now I have stated in many blogs what we do...but seeing the results again after years of doing it, I believe it is time to revisit. It's either this or a commentary on something less appealing. 

Traditions: We, every holiday, have the children wake up to some sort of treat or present, depending on the income level of that month. Green pancakes on St. Patties, etc. I was surprised that my littlies (soon they are going to be my biggies) still wanted traditions. So I decided to hand off the baton to my eldest, Mads, due to some car issues. She learned good. smile. (see how I threw in some country language?) So paper hearts strewn over the black table top, "ice" plastic pebbles too. The plates had hot pink waffles and heart shaped donuts and a piping hot chocolate cup with whip cream piled to the ceiling. Each one had a small present, Tshirt/candy/card, tied in a white tulle ribbon. (I took pics but they really don't portray what the table really looked like.) What was meaningful to me was that a tradition that my mother started with just a box of hearts on Valentines is now full fledge fun with my daughter. I see the generational gap closing a little. The joy of seeing my mom and my daughter in the words "Are we doing tradition?" Okay, yes, it touches on my mortality a little and I am now humming the Lion King's "the circle of life." Get over my sentimental self.

But then I thought "selfish Riv." I have 4 littlies that are my nieces and nephews just down the block. Okay a really long block. Plus about 8 minutes. But traditions don't just have to be my little own world. I realized that I don't have to have my own little clan to create traditions that will influence short people even when they aren't so short. So a little trinket was given  wrapped up in tulle and love to each cutie pie. My nephew Taylor said it on his FB post, not exact quote, that love isn't love unless it is shared with those you do love. I realized that my world has been just that...my world. Our little family ALWAYS say "I love you." ("Make your bed, I love you" , "mom can you take me to school, I love you", "dinner is great, I love you.") But I realized I had never told my 21 year old nephew that I loved him! I admire him for the accomplishments he has done and he is the smartest boy on this earth with tender and sweet feelings. But I had never reached out to him. So back to traditions, they don't have to be just for the small world we have created for ourselves. We can expand. (Yes I fb my Taylor and told him I love him.) 

So, now back to my world. My soon-to-be-son-in-law happenstance upon our little "love breakfast". Now, I cannot be sure if it was our example or his own, (no credit needed, promise) but he showed up that evening with a present for all the girls who are in the house! Sweet Jakey. Traditions. Examples. Loving it.

The bottom line is: Do Do Do. It will come back to you. The Universe cannot help itself but to give back to you when you give either by example or tradition .

Go and do.


Comments

Popular Posts