Where I Am?

Where I am...As the pending wedding approaches, I have the deep need to fix my home up. After all I will have the in-laws a comin' who, well cause a bit of anxiety. (Some of you may know what I am speaking of.) They have helped us through our lives, financially, and that is owed a debt of gratitude that I cannot repay. So my intent is not to bash them but let us just say that they have not taken the opportunity to "know me" (or maybe  the problem is they have!) therefore visits can be a bit dicey on my part. Also, there are my daughter's future in-laws to make feel at home here so...I am digressing.

So I went to the local Thrifty Nifty and purchased a few frames to "pinterest" and hang up in the long basement hall way. I started rummaging through the pictures that have piled up through the years, before the advent of downloading on the computer, and a found one recurring theme. I was not in them. I was always taking them. Or not in them. There suddenly came a feeling of sadness. I was overcome with the feeling that all these years of focusing just on the family that I was the one missing in the photographs! That there is little record of me and who I was during the changing of the family throughout the years. My sense of mortality, of seeing the few pictures as the one thing that will carry on and remind my family of who I was during their lives, is close to nil. I had a tear. I felt why wouldn't it be important for those around me to include me and make sure they had portraits of me? Why didn't the hub think I was someone he wanted to photograph and include? But then I thought maybe the legacy I can leave isn't in a photograph and won't mean much to two generations from now, maybe it is the love and the security that I can offer to those in my life right now. The things that will be handed down to the next few generations. So I may be auspiciously missing but I am there in the spirit of those who ARE photogrpahed.
go and do and get a picture taken!

Comments

Popular Posts