Family Ties….

 Family Ties…..so my eldest is getting married to a wonderful person in a mere few days. No one told me the relief one feels when you know you child is marrying a person YOU (as a parent) love, trust, and know will take the heavy mantle that has been carried from the moment the girl came into the world. I feel that I have been an Olympian torch carrier who just handed off the torch. It is with some trepidation and sadness but a knowledge that I have someone who is now carrying the need to care and love her as much as I do! 

This week we have, starting Saturday, a litany of things to accomplish and do! Bridal photos, shower, friends/family flying in and the wedding. There is a myriad of feelings of sadness, she will never come back as a single girl to my home. There is a happiness that she has chosen someone who capable of taking care of her in a way that I would require. Excitement that she gets to celebrate the coming of this major event. Calmness that her husband to be is already part of our family. 

I have a friend whose son is to leave on a Religious mission for two years. She shared with me that she had lost her glasses and couldn’t find them anywhere! She declared that it was probably due to her being (subconsciously) so sad and in denial that her son is about to embark on this journey that she probably will find them the minute he leaves,which will be when the fog lifts. I feel that way. Like I lost a pair of glasses. I can see okay without them and am okay but life is so much better with them! That is how I feel about Madison. My life will be okay with her gone and married…just like not having glasses. BUT my life is so so much better with her in it. She is my pair of glasses as I love having her with me and in my live on a constant basis. That is the life I will miss.

Now, I am a cow-girl-upper. I don’t share deep feelings with everyone. I don’t Facebook/Instagram my life for all to see and I believe in being a strong female type. BUT I am afraid that if I recognize I am losing my glasses (or daughter as the case maybe) the water works will start and not stop. I cannot have that. So I will pretend I can see just as well without my  glasses as I did with them. (Metaphorically speaking that is.)
           (River-me, almost sis-in-law and the almost newlyweds! Right before they got engaged.)

          (Daughter in play last year)
Go and do and know that this time comes sooner then you would have ever guessed!

Comments

Popular Posts