Mama Mama Mama Bear…….

Mama Bear …. was said of me once with a hint of derision. It was laced with the intent that saying that I was there for my favorite people in the world was a bad thing. I take umbrage. When I saw that beautiful bride of mine on her wedding day full of happiness and confidence, partly due to my appropriate protection of her, I was ever so happy that I took the time, initiative, and disregard for others in the ability to let others know that these children have a Lioness gaurding them……no not a “helicopter” parent or “taker over” parent. Not that kind of parent. More that others knew that I want to know WHERE my children are and with WHO they are with. My sweet girl, dating a boy that holds true to all the values we do, told me that in all his dating we are the first parents to take interest in who he is as a person and where the evenings will take my beloved girl when he leaves the house with her! REALLY? Parenting on the sidelines does not work folks no matter how great your child is. 

So a not so very good boy who is older then my gal decided that getting on Facebook and posting for all to see, that he despite her boyfriend, wanted to take my littlie on a date. My response was “Sorry (name) you are too old for her.” (The Lioness is in the house!) My intent is not to embarrass or belittle this gent’s attempt at wooing my daughter but more to let it be known that her mother and father are aware of those who come in and out of this child’s life and that we stand in a place of awareness and protection. And there is no place for peace making/avoiding embarrassment/coming off too strong when it comes to caring for a child and being a parent to them. 

We have choices to be an involved (appropriately) as a parent, guardian, lioness for those who live within our circle of love. This goes for friends, parents, nephews/nieces, etc. We have the right to stand tall in protection and guardianship of those we love. So next time someone you love runs out the door shouting “Bye Ma, love ya.” Stop and ask the questions that should be asked. You’ll feel a sense of pride and confidence if you do.

Go and do and ask all the right questions! I promise you will thank yourself in about 15 years or so.

Comments

Katie Southwick said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
I love this post for SO many reasons...
1- the wedding was BEAUTIFUL! That wonderful Bride looked gorgeous, no shocker there. She is a beautiful girl, and such a sweetheart too. So happy for her and her prince charming! :)
2- I chuckled a little when I saw your comment about the guy's comment and your response (Via FB) It made my day, and reminded me what an awesome mom you are. Always involved in your kids' lives, playing such a huge role. I love it. I love your family and what incredible examples you all are to me, personally. I learn so much from your amazing clan. :) Thanks for your amazing and very wise words of wisdom. You are incredible! No question where your fabulous kids get their knowledge and awesomeness! :) *Katie*
Rivmama said…
Thanks for the feed back!!!! I really appreciate it! Life is good isn't it?!

Popular Posts