Spare the Rod And Spoil The Child…...

Spare the rod and spoil the child use to be a mantra that when heard, by me, would illicit gasp and the firm conviction that I would never be a mother that needed to even think about a “rod” much less have on my hands a spoiled child. But without one you will definitely have the other. Say what?

It is my firm conviction that whilst using physical domination of any kind (if used other then the sole purpose of protection of child) is uncalled for,  unseemly, and just plain bad sportsmanship. BUT when a parent indulges a child to  “show love” or “make -up for…..” (fill in the blank) or the parent is too lazy to participate then they have just made a recipe for disaster. Now a real disaster recipe is the cake my friend made called “Lemon Cranberry Cake.”  Years later my stomach still gives a lurch whenever that  particular “incident” is mentioned. Yet, I digress.

When a child is crappy to an indulging parent, the parent thinks,  “ahh you little tiger you.” When the said child throws fits in the store, the parent rolls the eyes and sighs a sigh of willingness to endure. Perhaps a treat is offered or the child ends up receiving the very thing they were told they couldn’t have. The offending parent gives many reasons why a child should not be accountable for their own actions. The parent can always always, always find an excuse for bad behavior on their offspring's account but then that is just justification without bases.

When we allow a child to dictate their lives to us  grown-uppers then we have screwed them for life. Indulged children become indulged adults. That is just nasty. No Boss will ever look upon their employee the way good old mama does. When the adult child throws mini tantrums in public arenas others look on in sheer horror or embarrassment on that so called grown-up-but-behaving-like-a-two-year-old behalf.  Roommates, friends, spouses etc find such behavior offensive. They speak behind backs wondering what parents raised these self-entitled, self-absorbed, selfselfselfself type peeps and then loose them out into society. Nobody goes unscathed.

So it is almost 3:oo in the morning and I have had a stressful but great day. So if I am random forgive me. But I still say “Spare the discipline and get a spoiled child that will soon turn into a spoiled adult.”

Go and get a rod just in case.
Daughter is getting married tomorrow so I will probably not be posting for a few days so be blessed and see you when I see you!

Comments

Popular Posts