Nothing A Chocolate Chip Cookie Won’t…….

Nothing a chocolate chip cookie won’t heal…..is my mantra. The thing is ladies and gents, ifin’ you are a raisin’ pups….they get more expensive as they grow older.

People forget to let you in on that little secret when you are a newbie parent. One starts to think that they cannot wait until the little grasshopper grows out of diapers and formula. The expense of shots and clothes that don’t fit in a matter of months, start to wear parents down. The hope that once they (the offspring) grow out of that stage then the old bank account can take a rest. Cheese and crackers, I remember when I lamented over the $40.oo spent one week on short walks to the Gas Station or the Icee Cone Shack. I would bundle everyone up in their best walking shoes and walking shorts and we, not unlike a gaggle of geese, would mosey down the sidewalk toward a pre-destined destination, the children fresh with anticipation of what faked dyed, sugar coated treat they would spend their few dollars on. The small din of their excited voices and the skips in their steps were such that money had no price to live those moments.

It has all changed.

So our youngest decided at the Concert in the Park to open the car’s electric window half way down. Then she preceded to lean on it with all her might whilst looking at all the people walking to their cars, hands full with blankets and this and that. What wasn’t understood at the time is that by doing this it breaks the window motor within the door of the vehicle. Pricey to fix. Along with a broken lock, this little repair was $350.oo. The problem, we also have to cough up $600.oo for Drill Team. This after the tidal wave of Wedding, Lacrosse, Hospital bills, End of school activities.  

This morning, the Prince Charming explained that due to so many unexpected expenses we have just enough dough to get gas for the day and purchase a meal. After doing that, 8.oo bucks only until tomorrow. Guess what? After consuming a very good-my-brothers-recipe chocolate chip cookie I had an epiphany. Wasn’t I lucky to have 10 dollars worth of gas and one good meal planned? Man, it could be worse. I could have no gas and no meals. 

So driving my son, Sam, home from a friend’s house, he inquired if I was upset/mad about the broken car window. I explained to my youngster some things I have learned in the few years I have lived on planet earth. I preceded to tell him that I have lived long enough to know that things happen and getting mad does nothing to serve myself or the offending person. Am I sad that our extra vacation money is being used up for a broken window…yes. Do I lament that we pay for Drill instead of new chairs for our office? Yes. But mad…never. Things happen, it is life. What I chose to be is grateful that there was money, though allotted for other things, to fix the car, pay for Lacrosse, pay for the hospital, etc. I am sad for what I don’t get but appreciative and grateful for the ability to fix those things that need it.

So next time life hands you lemons…….eat a home made chocolate chip cookie……life will look better when you do!
(Comment if you want the recipe…..ubber good.)

Comments

Popular Posts