Plastic Smastic

Plastic cups were always on hand when I was a Littlie.  We used them for digging holes in the backyard, drinking kool-aid, carrying new found worms and building dirt castles.  They were stained with red colored blobs and had nicks from butter knives. When we would open up the cupboards we would see a myriad of color shapes and sizes ranging from the upper echelon Tupperware to the ghetto Kmart cups.  Plastic cups were part of my life. They represented child hood. 

My second part of my life has little to no plastic cups. I have wine glasses, champagne goblets, juice size cups, Pottery looking glasses to hold enough Redbull to sustain me for the day.  Large goblets and little goblets. I have ceramic coffee cups..........the funny thing is, we don't drink alcohol or coffee. My new son-in-law who prescribes to the same standards as we, said he has never been in a home were wine goblets were in the daily use of a family who doesn't drink. 

Glasses break all the time. Children putting them in the dishwasher wrong or not holding onto the stems correctly. More then once a week a large tinkling crash can be heard through out the house we call home. 

For me it is the ability to enjoy life even if it is the smallest of things. When you open up my cupboards, depending on WHO emptied the dishwasher, there are the same goblets standing in a line like little glass Soldiers at attention. It brings to to tears every time! 

Get the crap out of your homes and replace it with the things that really matter to you! 86 the mishmash plates and the assorted plastic cups garnered throughout the years at your favorite local gas station. Go on down to the Dollar store and start a collection of things that look and are the things you want to see every day you open your cupboard.  

I use to love color in my plates! I had complimentary color plates that would festive-ize my table at every meal. It was like a Mexican fiesta that made me want to wear a sombrero every time I consumed food. But now I have turned to the more Amish type look. Clean and simple. White white and more white. Most dishes that hold any kind of appetite suppressing material sits on a clean anemic ceramic that always bring joys! 

So today please open up that buffet, credenza, sideboard and cupboard. Take a look and see if what you look at a thousand times a day is plastic or tiny soldiers standing at attention.

Go and do and make it happen......oh and I have a slightly used Sombrero if your interested.

Comments

Popular Posts