Eggs of Life…..

Eggs of Life……This is what our eggs look like very often in our home.  It says a lot about how our home rolls. It is a home full of not-in-the-limelight artist of all sorts of talents. We have writers, story tellers, photographers in training, draw-ers, drummers, etc.  We are a home that has sprouts of funny antics, down time of quiet-tude, arguers, dancers, decorators. The budding of  searching for “who I am” mode. I love it. Guessing who we all will be when we decide to grow up. My eldest came as a  mom. No doubt that her talent, if allowed will be mommy-hood.  My youngest wants to be a photographer in New York. Yeow. I kid that she will have 5 cats and be a cra-cra. The others want to be a Therapist and Dentist accordingly. You know what I deem the best compliment that I could ever receive? It is when my children tell me that they had a great childhood. Smile. Well done me and Daddy Steve. It thrills my heart.

I had a discussion with my brother not so long ago. Due to circumstances, we have not been able to communicate much throughout the last 19 years. Now he is local and adapting back into the family world. He was minimizing a “mommy demand” I had regarding one of my chiclets. He smirked that he didn’t know why I cared because to him it was no big deal. I grew up in a family that somehow has problems accepting direct and bottom line boundaries from me. So, I clarified that my one true job was to raise my children to the best that I can and that this particular issue was a big deal. He again stated that he didn’t think so. I informed him that due to being gone for 19 years he doesn’t know but you DON”T MESS WITH MY CHILDREN. No, I am  not a renegade mom, or a rescuer or a fighter or a helicopter parent. I am just the average mom that will not put up with nonsense from things that are interrupting those boundaries that I have put up. He didn’t seem to like that. His reply was that I had more jobs then just being a mom. I let him know that yes, that is true. Being a mom though was the only important one I had though. (Not averaging in Wifehood!) So he needed to understand my boundaries or chose not too and lose the privilege of being in my circle for the time being. It is simple. The guardian of children first and foremost are the parents. Then hopefully grandparents realize that they are the back up committee provided that they adhere to protocol. Then the rest of the family and friends can and should be the back up back up committee. I heard once where a mom called into a radio show saying she was frustrated because Grandpa and Uncle would mock her small boy and the family would join in. Mom was questioned why she allowed that? Well, it is my dad and brother and they just play like that and I am in there home. So? Be the protector. Let your children say they had a happy childhood. It will bring joy untold.

Go and do.

Comments

Popular Posts