Old Hands

Old Hands…..I remember being so enamored by my 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Brooks, hands. They had deep deep grooves running through the back of her hands that showed more age then what she was.  I would sit entranced watching her hands as she read to us and held the book so lovingly and reading with great gusto! I felt comfort when, as a little person so far from home, she would lean over and her hands would rest on my desk as she gave an answer to    a problem I might of been wrestling with. I felt safe because of her. 

I have taken that with me. That sight. We had a family day last Sunday that consisted of the whole day wrapped around the family. Activities, cooking, games, resting, pumpkin carving.  I looked at my hands with some age spots and skin that is looser then I want. Yet, I rejoiced at the transformation from my youthful hands that I remember to the ones now that hold all the memories. Every line that I have is a recognition of all the things that I have contributed to my family that I  love.  It host the memories of cooking, diaper changing, meals consumed, laundry, parties, home made desserts, posters made for Science Fairs, carpool, crafts, walking to the Gas station, toilet cleaning, cuddling, touching small faces, holding hands, comforting, wiping away tears. 


I might not be known a generation or two from now, but when I go I will take the hands that hold all the memories of my existence and hopefully those are the hands that my sweet family will remember. Go and do.

Comments

Popular Posts