Dreaded Moving Day....

Dreaded Moving Day.....it's official, my eldest baby is taking her baby and her sweetheart and moving cross country.

I had to act like it was just another day. I had tears brimming but I quickly dabbed them away and hug and kiss them all with a "have a great day and see you at dinner." (It's the only way I can really say goodbye to them.) I have to go to work. So I must maintain some sort of dignity, if possible. I squish them quickly with no lingering. I avoid to much conversation and then briskly gather my things and head out to work.

It is a facade.

I do not want to face it. We have air travel sure. We can visit often, yes. But it is that chapter of when we as a family had movement together. Our Sundays were planned around each other. The meal was always a celebration meal. The comfort that we would all be together at the start of each week. The knowledge we are living our lives but so close to each other that we could "snap" and be right there.

We decided a family picture was in order. It went, as all pictures do, late. Fading sun. Looking especially frumpy. SD card missing from camera. New baby upset. Topped it off with a greasy not-worth-it burger dinner. That was our farewell. Yes, I imagined a 3 course meal, camera panning around our table, Thanksgiving meal. But no, it was a greasy burger joint. But my love and admiration of each of those individuals sitting at that table was the same. Looking into their faces
over the french fries and half cups of soda, I get overwhelmed at how beautiful these people are. They are worth something! They make the world better and they are my world.

So I will cowgirl up this dreaded morning and do the things that are required of me. Then I will fall apart in the privacy of my own bedroom, empty ice cream cartons scattered and Netflix playing continuously.  Go and do and appreciate the things you have at this moment. Sooner then you think, they those things maybe in a moving van going across country. 

Comments

Popular Posts