Mama Day

Mama Day...I looked up the history of Mother's Day on Google. Apparently a Miss Anna Jarvis helped to create and make it official by 1914 here in the United States. She originally thought of it way before then to celebrate the life of her mother who had passed on. Now that is a loving daughter, to get an official holiday on the Calendar for you!! No need for flowers that year!She had imagined this day as a day to show mothers the love and respect good mothers deserve. I think though, as I perused the story on her, that her mother instilled this sense of nobility of motherhood in her. Her sweet mother had organized a sort of "mom day" to help teach others how to care and tend to their little herds. By the time the Civil War had appeared on the scene, her amazing mama had organized a club for mothers of sons (ON BOTH SIDES) to work together to bring an end to the war and thus return their sons to them.

It is a sweet story. Like all good stories, there is a rim of salt added. Miss. Anna had campaigned for it to be an official holiday and one of her main  thrust for making it official was that it was mainly a manful inspired jubilee filled calendar. Miss. Jarvis was victorious and we at United Staters started to official recognize the poor women who give up so much for the "optimism of motherhood." (Wish I had thought up that phrase!) And like all good things, it got twisted. Removed was the intent of recognizing that actual labor of love and observance of what mothers give up/away/in  and in it's empty spot came commercialization. Anna campaign, or so says Google, the rest of her life to remove this wonderful observance day due to the distortion. Note to self: STILL a great story!

My little loves know how to celebrate. My artist cub son is finishing up the abstract portrait of me, love! My 16 year old bought me a fantastic apron (my obsession) and cleaned the house (she is perfect) my 2nd in command was the first to wish me a happy day and my eldest did a beautiful tribute via online. (Um, mama is looking good this year! :)  )   Pretty good for late teeners and early twenty yearers.

I researched an what was so endearing to me was that MANY countries have their own celebrations of mothers. They are done throughout the year, different months, different names, different ways of honoring. Yet, what got me in the gut was that with all the disparity in the world we all celebrate our mamas. That is a special honor indeed, the thread between us all is our Mothers. And somehow in the Universe of Karma and goodwill, it makes sense that the one thing we have in common is the need to honor our mamas.

Go and do and pat someone on the back for being mamasita.


Comments

Popular Posts