Fences



Fences, I have said this before so let me regurgitate. "Don't take down fences until you know why they are there!" Meaning don't change things until you are sure they should be.



 My eldest and I were discussing options for her up and coming offspring educational choices. We talked of days gone by.......a long, long, long time ago. I remember walking home from school in Kindergarten. I don't really recall the reason, perhaps a missed bus or some such issue. (I am sure it is blogged earlier somewhere with vague facts as well. ) The only memory I have is that I got lost. I wandered forever, or so it appeared to my 6 year old self. I finally got my baring. (Hope that is the right spelling.) I arrived home. No muss no fuss! I was somewhat scared and said a little prayer but I also had knowledge of "safety" houses. People would take some type of forms and backgrounds and then would adhere a poster (with the symbol) that this is a safe house for children that were lost, followed, in need. I knew that there would be someone to help me if I was completely disoriented.

Now-a-days, someone who have called CPS or taken the little me or some such crazy chaos. Instead, I had an adventure, no harm.

The home area in which my Littlie and her littlies reside is in a huge vacation area. Child sex rings, kidnappings, molestations abound. She would not even feel safe allowing the sweet fledglings to play in the back yard without being out there watching. Schools have taken out prayer and pride of country , physical education, fine arts, and substituted fluid love and dependency on technology. (We can always add but why subtract?) This is a great for instance......growing up Presidents Day was a biggie. We would spend a week prior learning about our forefathers and those who created our country. Country Pride. Then the wonderful day would arrive free of school and free to play. I loved coloring pictures of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. I found a love for them at an unsophisticated age. I knew that my country was important. I said the "Pledge Allegiance" everyday and learned of the struggles of the MY people before me. We eliminated that holiday. It is officially on the books but we celebrate Martin Luther King instead. AGAIN! All for ADDING if needed BUT why subtract? Our forefathers created a country we ALL live in. I don't care if your green, purple, Eunuch, tall, short, straight, non-straight etc. We should have these things in our schools. Oh man, did I digress.......


Anyway, discussing what would be best for these babies made me wish for the times when we loved our country, we lived the American dream, right was right wrong wrong..... playing kick the can ti 10 at night and watching Disney on Sunday nights. Drive ins and 50 cent McDonald hamburgers. Skinned knees and candy from nice strangers. Saturday morning cartoons and schools that had more freedoms and more discipline.

Listen, I will sing the praises of teachers one day in a blog, so any finger pointing isn't about teachers, politics, discrimination. It is merely pointing out that we shouldn't subtract without understanding why and we shouldn't add if it is at the cost of something better.

Just saying, go and do.

Comments

Popular Posts