I AM SOUTHERN....

I am southern.  Southern at heart at least! So I already ruminated about being a Westerner which includes California, Idaho, Washington, and Utah. Those are the states I lived "my whole dum-gum life". Then the move across country and to a new reality. One equal (if not a titch more) better then the lives I lived before.

Explanation.Washington, my youngest of years, was full of  kick ball in the cul-de-sac and running all over the neighborhood until mothers and fathers starting yelling from the front door or back porch that it was time to come in in the early eve just as complete darkness was descending. It was pretending the dark brown UPS delivery van was the coveted police SWAT team and stuffing grasshoppers into band aid tin boxes. (YES Millennials, we had tin for our band aid box and most grasshoppers survived!) I lived as a younger teen self in Idaho (and a bit more areas and states) but there I was an apple farmer, sheep raising, living in the "BIG yellow house" Junior High school kid. Hickies were a sign of popularity (marks left by a boyfriend sucking on your neck, yes, I don't get it but it was what we did!) and Levis jeans and farm trucks were the essentials for any pre-teen and teen. (Farm kids drive at 14 years of age.)  4-H clubs and County Fairs were the norm! (4H is were communities teach teens things, this area taught farm development and animal raising.) I finished my teen year race with sunny California. Where my convertible car had the roof off most of the year and the beach was calling every weekend. Mexican food was divine and dancing at the E Clubs on the military base made any weekend excursion fantastic.

Then life began.....Prince Charming, house payments, children who needed you.

My hindmost life concludes in the South. As you can surmise, I was born and raised Western. But in my heart I was always Southern. They have good manners and "Yes Sir" and "Yes Ma'am" slides off the tongue. You would never say hurtful things and would never have bad manners. Flipping off the middle finger and honking just isn't done. Truth is said however blunt. People are actually related to everyone.....Mayberry Street anyone? There is a charming style of speak.

 I am not sure if I shared this but my friend Miss.Leah is trying to teach me southern.I was in the Piggly Wiggly and someone walked past me and I said, "Oh, pardon me!". She said "Ah no no no, pardon?" with giggles. I was instructed to say  the following "ScUse me, sorry." (Emphasis on the U and the sorry said at a clip!) Another friend said, after I tried my accent, "River you done have an accent it just aint Southern!"

I don't know, I loved all my experiences as they have made me who I am for good or for bad. But ending up in Southern Land seems like the perfect ending to a good ol' life. Go and do and have some Southern fried chicken and grits.....they are really GOOD EATIN'!

Comments

Popular Posts