Mix Bag of something....

Mix bag of something.....You never know how your children will turn out. We are cocooned in the solace that our beautiful Littlies will be savants of reading, cooking,  painting, whatever skill or knowledge we so diligently taught in the "All" hours of our raising of them. Stay with me here.....

My family table consist of many (almost all) adopted siblings. My 30 something brother came to us as a pre-mature baby. I still remember the day we "got" him! I was in  high school and my madre was the school nurse. The office called me from a class to the office. Because they all knew my mother  and the situation, there was a flurry of emotion by the staff. They proceeded to let me know I was being checked out of school to go with my mama to pick up my new brother. He was of Spanish descent and he was all of 3 pounds. His jet black hair was probably near that weight as well. He looked like a miniature of one of the band members of the Monkeys or the Beatles, his hair was so thick and long! So the baggage he was born with was a disease called Cystic Fibrosis. We knew it but wanted him anyway. Fast forward to now. He is a grown adult and struggling in the hospital with the flu and low platelets. No good. He is being a bit grumpy with mom and my sister set him straight! "Do you not understand that mom and dad moved all over just for  your health?" she asked him. ( We moved a lot for  better air quality, better benefits, better medical advances.) He had NO IDEA! What? My  life moved me every where for him and he didn't even have an inkling?

Circling around. We have mixed  nuts when we create families. We do our best. We sacrifice. I did a great amount of sacrificing as financial woes were the cross that I had to carry. My child will never know that we gave up financial security, a trip, and many other things so she could be apart of a school team. They will never know that we constantly would forgo things that were important to us and could have added to our lives. They won't ever understand the burdens and the tears we had to make sure they had well being. And they don't need to know. It was completely our burdens to bear and they needn't worry about it. 

Yet, like my brother, they don't always grow up loving or appreciating you. They don't know the "behind the scenes" and so they hold onto the present and what they THINK THEY KNOW. But wrap yourself in content whether they love you or hate you. You did good. And they are careless about they time and energy it took to get them to adult hood but YOU KNOW what it took. Whether they are savants or lazy bones or allegiance to you or disdain for you , it does not matter. You did good.

Go and do!

Comments

Popular Posts