If you say it enough....

If you say it enough..... I have always told my children to be careful what they ask for from somebody. I do not refer to the actuality of words spoken in a sentence but rather the behavior as it were.  

Let me explain....sometimes the things we don't say or the things we do are communication in itself. For example, if one ignores phone calls from a particular person....we will use the word you for the moment, then they are actually saying that they have no interest in speaking to you. Or if a friend is constantly turning down your invites or refusing to answer text in more than one-word responses, they are letting you know their interest lies elsewhere and it is not with you.

Here is the rub. People will eventually "pick up what you're putting down." 


I left that sentence alone so you could see the emphasis. Our unintentional behavior might one day be read. And we will get what we put out there. The said "victim" may decide to stop calling. Or stop wasting their time trying to reconnect with you.  I have become painfully aware that our life speeds up into old age instead of gracefully arriving. And I can peruse over my life and see the story I told by my inactions or that others told me by their lack of....(fill in the blank)... I clearly see where the elusive "they" reacted negatively /or just didn't react to me or I to them.  Where untold biographies revealed that "stopping the reconnection" is a real thing and can be a great loss whether we choose to recognize it or not. 


So, I have decided when going over to Paul and Deb's next door, I will politely take the orange herb tea with honey that is offered instead of always denying their generous off for water, cola, or whatnot. Because I am acknowledging that one day they may stop offering. And that will be a sad one.

Go and do and watch what you put out there not in words but in passivity. 



Comments

Popular Posts