Good bye, Hello

 Goodbye, Hello. Yes, it has been a while. I have realized that I am in the "Grandma Stage" of life and I get to do either /or life. I can wallow around catching up on every episode of whatever is on Netflix or I can create a life I have wanted but I was either too naïve and young to know what I wanted or too obsessed with being in mama llama mode. I know of many women who are about my age who decide that polyester and leisure may be the path they start on. I don't want that life one iota.

I do get it though. I have been drawn to the occasional funky print clothing item that may have had a non-cotton blend and I soon realized those items were to be extricated from my closet post haste. I have also ventured into the occasional peach or  1950s pink color, no surprise, without success. I frequently opt for a layer of bling-bling jewelry to bejewel myself and be a Fancy Nancy.  I find that by the time I hit my automobile seat, I have shed some of the bling and by the end of my errands the jewelry is gone. I am growing old but still love cotton,  nose rings, and staying barefoot as much as possible. 

I was listening to an interview with a well-known dude who is older than I. He mentioned that our society puts us older folks on the back burner just when we have accomplished "wisdom" after a lifetime of learning the lessons of life. He mentions that departments he works with such as CIA agents, policemen, etc are put into retirement early about this age. We have much to offer and I shout out kudos to those cultures that understand this concept and embrace it. Unfortunately, our American culture has lost that need to turn to the older generations for guidance and lessons.  

I venture into the recent news of a girl basketball player shunning America in every way she possibly could think of from requesting our Anthem not be played, to showing defiance in every "popular" trendy way she could. She showed her absolute hatred for our country by choosing to go to Russia and play for them in an "F" you sort of gesture and apparently entitled that she could bring drug paraphernalia with her and consequently been in a Russian jail and sentenced to many years to serve there. ANY person over 50 years of age, who understands PAST HISTORY,  would have counseled her that the perceived injustices in her native country were actually mismarked and were in all actuality the after-effects of extreme privileges of living in a free society. Those very people would have counseled her that, before making her move to another country, should not only know her history but understand the nuances of a country that does not allow its citizens the very same opportunities she rebuffed here in our land of freedom (for now, sad face).  I also think, we older peeps, understand the sadness that a little gal who got caught up in the rhetoric of the chaos being created here and thought she was being strong by doing "action" to show her misguided beliefs. There isn't a good person in America who isn't overwhelmed that the consequences of her behavior are so severe and saddened by the road ahead of her.

I am just saying that we old folks may wear polyester, socks with Teva's, not know what the "Gram" is, forget names and places, still use Facebook, and require a six-year-old help in navigating any technology yet we have the wisdom to bestow and YOU NEED IT MORE THEN ANY OTHER TIME IN HISTORY. 

I know that I veered down a different road than  I started. But it is still going to be a great day. Pray for those who don't understand and have harsh consequences due to ignorance, create a life that works for you, and avoid polyester at all costs.

Go and do and anxiously await a new post from me. Or live your life and peep in on me occasionally.


Comments

Popular Posts