Sounds of Saturday

I love Saturdays that are just like today. My littlies have slowly changed places with me...........how did that happen? It use to be that Friday nights were our "treat nights" meaning on that evening we put the chiclets to bed early (7:oo on the dot) and enjoyed our selves a movie and some expensive processed foods made by someone else's hands. Perhaps a wee one would wander out for a glass of water or a quick potty but other then that the house was ours to enjoy. It's different NOW. My Fridays look more like the Battle of Little Big Horn. There are my children and then some other people's children all in a 4-ba-hoo-dee kitchen whipping up eggs, hash browns, and pancakes. There are several conversations going at the same time and there seems to be a sense of competition as to who can raise their voices higher. There is a foreign language being spoken that I am trying to decipher but I have no skill in speaking teenager! There are just too many "likes" and "you knows" for me to follow any train of thought for long. There is attempted skate boarding in the house, cries from the youngest that she can't hear her movie, Sam showing off his prow less in basketball by showing his moves with an 'air ball' and his friend (who is just one of the family) is eating all of Maya's movie popcorn complaining about how he is allergic to it .  And then of course there are the myriad of friends and the "girls" (my 2 oldest is what we call them.....The Girls.") making the breakfast food menagerie in the kitchen. It is nearly 7:oo p.m. and I am ready for bed. I come out for the occasional glass of water and potty break but I am down for the count. And this is why I love Saturdays.......I wake up early and the house does not. I get to enjoy the sounds of family. Miss Maya loves sleeping on our floor and as I start into consciousness I hear her gentle rhythmic breathing. I get up and in my "counting sheep" pajamas I walk down to have a cup of Pero only to find Olivia nestled under a thin blanket on the couch with her neck kinked in the most amazing angle. (Acrobats would be jealous!) And then I look at Sam and he is nestle in blankets with his dog, Max, sleeping soundly in the crook of his arm.  I instantly know what bed Maddie has chosen as she chooses the same one when she is the last to go to bed. The windows are lighted enough by the rising sun so no lights need be turned on. I sit to blog and chuckle to myself at the vast sounds of breathing that echo through the house. I know that one day those sounds will be grown up and no longer be here. I actually tear up because I love those sounds, as they are the sound of my life. They are attached to my heart in a way that is beyond this world and so WHAT IF there are dirty dishes and a egg splattered griddle in the kitchen. SO WHAT IF there are crumbs of popcorn and a cacophony of shoes littered about the house. SO WHAT? It is the Saturday breathing sounds that mean the most to me. So you see, I love Saturdays. Love your Saturdays! Go and do.

Comments

Popular Posts