Accidentally Going Green!

I have started taking an interest in doing a little for the world I live in. Nothing to write home to mother about, just thinking a little more about what I can do to serve the place I reside in. It isn't a political thing for me so don't get the wrong idea. It is by chance that I started thinking about being self sufficient. This segwayed into thinking a little bit more of things that I am willing to change in my life to be more "responsible" without great commitment. It started to nudge at the back of my mind when we had our attic re insulated. This saves an homeowner up to 20 percent in heat loss. (I did it because it was free.) I started buying eggs locally and would reuse my egg cartons. (It was  the only way to carry them back home.) Then one day I decided that my food pantry contained way to many plastic bags. I, hovering over the trashcan with a hand full of plastic, decided that maybe I should recycle them in the bins that dot all food markets around my town. But then I realized I had gathered clothe grocery bags some of vibrant lime or pink flowers, some just plain blue with the Wally World symbol displayed for all to see. The problem is remembering to bring the bags with me when I shop. More often then I am willing to note, the shout of "Oh the bags are in the car!" as my groceries are being nestled into plastic bags that can take over 500 years to disintegrate. I use cold water to wash most of my clothes. 85 percent of energy of washing clothes goes toward heating of the water. I did it so it was more gentle on my clothes and they would last longer. We naturally require shoes off on the house. But "they" say that wearing clean shoes in the house and/or barefoot cuts down on the necessity of vacuuming and using chemicals to clean. We turn off lights, run the dishwasher at night during the summer, open windows instead of using the air conditioning on days that aren't scorching. More for the fact it saves money. I have started watching the Lazy Environmentalist. I may never own a worm box and I refuse to pay the city for the privilege of a recycling bin. But I am going green because how it serves me.................oh, yeah, and how it helps the earth too! Go & Do ..........a little recycling.

Comments

Popular Posts