Toms and Other Things I Love...l.

So if you read the last post you realize I am now in debt up to me eyeballs. But driving that warm leather seated car today, I decided to muse about having things I love within my life. Ah, not love as in Prince Charming or Friends but true love of the material things that enhance who I am. Let us take the shoes by Toms. Have loved the burlap ones forever and a day. But never, even when I could, did I justify the $45 clams it would cost to own a pair. Especially when the reviews stated they were great but not long lasting. I looooonnnggged for a pair. And ONLY the burlap. Those are the authentic Riv-miester pair. The kind I can slip on and race out of the house and feel like I am wearing my authentic shoes. So Prince Charming bought me a pair of canvas blue ones. He was a good daddy because our Maya (10) chose those for me for Christmas. He knew I would exchange them for the burlap but still gave her the joy of choosing. Yesterday at Ross, I bought a pair of supper skinny sunglasses. A Country Singer or Rockstar may get away with it but me.....well I bought them for all of 3.45. Me Prince said, "Na, don't like them." And I set them down with a dejected feeling when the sales gal said, "Oh no way, I love them  on you, they seem like you." That was all the encouragement I needed. I bought them. And after reconsideration the Prince loves them. Authentic. Buying things that fill that space within us that speaks to the real inside us. I found these amazing black leather pointed like a witch shoes at the local thrift store. Snatched them up for a mere fiver and have worn them every Sunday to church with pride and a sense of happiness. Cardigans and big fat bracelets. Funky socks. Lip gloss that taste good. Breath Spray. Leather handbags. Big rings. Pencil Skirts and Rain coats. Self tanners. Short spiky hair. Turqouise. Funky sunglasses. These are just a few things that feel my "personal" bucket of happiness. I realized that I may not shop at Talbots but I have many wonderful things I love and not all for the price others pay. Because I believe that when you know the things you want and you search, you find. Yes, my Banana Republic cashmere sweater is second hand but good as new and a fraction of the cost. But it isn't about monetary.....maybe it is.....but it is about finding ways to have the things you love in the material world that fill you up. That authenticate you. Jot down a few of your true loves. Is it pearls and florals or tees and sweats? Find those things that feel like they were made just for you. There is no greater compliment to me then people who say, "That seems like something River would wear....."
Go and do authentically. And have a good Sabbath.

Comments

Popular Posts