Absent....

Absent.....Yes, I have had a busy two weeks! Two weeks ago my 11 year old decided that having flu several times this winter wasn't enough. So, yes, she decided one last hooray and came down with a temp of a 103 for 5 days straight. Now one may not understand but when child is sick Mother becomes full time companion, rag wetter, temperature taker, herb tea maker, sleeper companion. And quite frankly, it becomes the only job one takes on. So after a week of quarantine both Papaya and I were freed. Then "it" happened. It being Spring Break. Spring Break is a full week of children home without one single obligation. (Okay, maybe a job or sports) but no time restraints, no bed times, no nothing. I personally don't do well not going to bed early but I "follow the crowd." So now Monday has arrived at our doorstep and it is time to fall back into routine. My teen boy questioned, "Ma, what time do I leave for the bus? I always forget after vacations."The truth is, I had to ponder for a moment. But I love days when the children are home, schedule or not. It ends sooner then you think, this house full of children.

Knowing life is changing faster then I want with regards to my growing clan, I take advantage. When the girl is sick, I am happily (if not a bit worn out) sleep by her feverish side with a cuddle thrown in for good measure. I longingly watch the boy leave for the bus in the pouring rain as he is "too cool" to let me drive him! Or maybe he just loves the adventure of walking in the rain to the bus.
I text my children love notes in the a.m. and think how happy, if not really really tired, that late nights of watching movies and soda runs during Spring Break was so so so worth it. To use the famous line of a church speaker yesterday, "I want to hug them until my eyeballs pop out

My life has been centered around these peeps of mine. And as that part of my life is changing, I have no regrets for putting them above work, friends, and even family. Maybe it is the melecholy of a dreary, rainy Monday after Spring Break but I love them and am grateful I didn't squander my days on things that took me from them. I hope they play-it-forward when they have their own clan.

Go and do. And spoil someone you love.

Comments

Popular Posts